The first Parachute Rigger badge was designed in 1948 by MAJ Thomas R. Cross and drawn by SFC Ewing of the 11th Parachute Maintenance Company, 11th Airborne Division at Camp Schimmelpfennig, Sendai, Japan, and was first used operationally during Exercise Swarmer in 1950.
Prior to the official adoption of the badge, it had been worn under Major Command commander’s authority to authorize the wear of locally designed badges on the utility uniform.
Official adoption of the badge had been sought for many years by a variety of Quartermaster officials. The adoption was based on a formal request submitted by Mr. James S. Emery, Military Analyst, Airborne Department, Quartermaster School in 1983. This request received unprecedented support from the field, unfortunately it was disapproved at the time. In 1986, GEN Richard H. Thompson, commander of the U.S. Army Materiel Command and the senior Quartermaster officer in the Army wrote the Chief of Staff of the Army asking him to reconsider the 1983 decision. After requesting some field comments, GEN Wickham approved the Parachute Riggers badge on 9 June 1986*Approx 2″ and 3" width, chrome plated, zinc alloy
*Attaches with 3M adhesive
*Tabs, units, and insignia sold separately
We Also Recommend