Menu
Cart 0

5th Inf Div

  • 995


5th Infantry Division “Red Diamond/Red Devils”
The Fifth Infantry Division (Regular) was organized in December 1917, with headquarters at Camp Logan, Houston, Texas, as a part of the program for the expansion of the armed forces for service in World War 1. The Department of the Army has designated December 11, 1917 as the activation date of the division. The 5th Infantry Division was the eighth American division to arrive in the European theater. By Armistice Day, the 5th Infantry Division had advanced further to the east than any Allied division. In World War 1 the 5th Infantry Division received combat participation credit for the following campaigns: Alsace 1918, Lorraine 1918, Saint Mihiel and the Meuse-Argonne. Since its first introduction into the trenches in June 1918, the Red Diamond had been in the line for 103 days. The origin of the 5th Infantry Division's motto, "We Will," is not known but it has definitely been established that it was used in World War 1. It was the German enemy in the St. Mihiel campaign who gave the men of the division the name by which they are known today. They called them "Die rote Teufel," which means "Red Devils!"

*Approx 50mm/2″ height, chrome plated, zinc alloy, enamel
*Attaches with 3M adhesive

We Also Recommend